An inventory location is a place where inventory is physically stored and managed (received, counted, issued, sold, scrapped, etc.). For larger operations, an inventory location can be a warehouse or a distribution center. For smaller operations, an inventory location can be a room or even a shelf.
By default, all registered Delivrd users are assigned to the Default inventory location, and all inventory transactions are assigned to this location. If you want to manage your inventory at multiple locations, you need to activate this feature.
Activating Multiple Inventory Locations
To activate multiple inventory locations, do the following:
- In the upper-right corner of any Delivrd page, hover over the Hello, username link to open a drop-down list.
- In the drop-down list, click Settings.
- On the System Settings page, select the Multiple inventory locations checkbox.
- Click Save.
As a result, when you open the Inventory List page, you will see that each inventory record is now displayed with its relevant location.
In addition, after you activate multiple inventory locations, you will get access to the following options under Actions:
- Manage Locations: Go to the Locations page to create a new location record or manage the existing location records.
- Add Inventory Record: Create a new inventory record for a specific product in a specific inventory location.
- Import Inventory Data: Import your inventory data from a text file.
Creating Inventory Locations
When you first register in Delivrd, the system automatically creates the Default inventory location, and all your inventory is managed through this location. You can change its name but you cannot delete it.
To create a new inventory location, do the following:
- In the navigation bar, click Products & Inventory > Inventory List.
- Click Actions > Manage Locations.
- A list of all existing inventory locations will appear. Here you can add, edit, or delete inventory locations.
- Click New Location.
- On the Add Location page that opens, enter the name and description of a new location.
- Click Save.
Note: You cannot delete an inventory location that has products with inventory. You need to make sure that all products have 0 (zero) stock in an inventory location before deleting it.
Creating Inventory Records
An inventory record represents a combination of a product and specific inventory locations. A single product can exist in many inventory locations, and an inventory location can have as many products as you wish. To be able to manage a specific product in a specific inventory location, you should create an inventory record for this product in this specific inventory location.
To create an inventory transaction for a product in a specific location (for example, when receiving to inventory, counting inventory, or transferring inventory between locations), you should first create an inventory record. For example, if you want to transfer inventory for product A from the North location to the South location, you should first create an inventory record for both locations for this product. Otherwise, you will not be able to perform the transfer.
To create a new inventory record, do the following:
1. In the navigation bar, click Products & Inventory > Inventory List.
2. Click Actions > Add Inventory Record.
3. Fill in the following information:
- Product: Select the product for which this inventory record is created.
- Location: Select the inventory location where this product is going to be stored and managed.
- Available Quantity: Enter the quantity of inventory for this product in the specified inventory location. If no inventory is stored for this product in the inventory location, you can still create the inventory record with zero (0) stock.
- Damaged Quantity: Enter the quantity of damaged inventory for this product in the specified inventory location.
- Remarks: Enter any relevant comments.
Note: The Damaged Quantity field will be visible only if you select the Manage damaged stock checkbox in system settings.
You can also export your inventory list to a CSV file by clicking Tools > Export Inventory to CSV.
Importing Inventory Data
If you manage many products across several inventory locations, maintaining inventory records can be time-consuming. In Delivrd, you can import your inventory data from a CSV file:
In the navigation bar, click Products & Inventory > Inventory
- Click Actions > Import Inventory Data.
- On the page that opens, click Add File.
- Select the file that you are going to import.
- Click either Start or Start Upload.
- After the file is uploaded, click Create Inventory Records.
You can also download a sample file to see the structure of the inventory data file. This structure is quite simple: it contains a line number, the product’s SKU, the inventory location name, and the inventory quantity. The file also contains a header line. Here is an explanation of the sample file structure:
- Line 0 is the header line and should exist exactly as specified in the examples.
- Lines 1-4 are inventory records. In this example, we have 2 inventory locations: Default and North (remember that the Default inventory location is created automatically for each product in Delivrd).
- Line 1: Sets the inventory quantity for product SKU 10000300 to 100 in the Default location.
- Line 2: Sets the inventory quantity for product SKU 10000311 to 150 in the Default location.
- Line 3: Creates an inventory record for product SKU 10000311 in the North location. Inventory quantity is 0. It means that actual stock of this product does not yet exist in the North location. By creating this inventory record we activate this product for the North location, and we can now count the product or transfer inventory from the Default location to the North location.
- Line 4: Sets inventory quantity for product SKU 10000312 to 132 in the Default location.